I appreciate all of nature this time of year so much. I LOVE the pops of bright color everywhere you look.
The fact is I haven't had much time to sit and really reflect on very much for too long because I have been so busy for the last few years. As I type this, I am on my second day with my oldest two kiddos in school FULL day. My youngest is asleep taking his afternoon nap. I cannot get over the fact that my house is silent. I mean, really really quiet. I am honestly not sure what to do with my time. I know I should stop eating these chocolate chips for one, but no one is pulling me away to do something else, so I just kind of want to sit here and not mop the house.
I know after a few days I'll get used to having Myla and Oliver gone all day with this gap of time to do something on my own. Maybe I can conjure up some energy and do some afternoon yoga or clean. I'm definitely a morning person so, the afternoon is usually my time to chill out. My morning has been very busy, but without the constant clock check, because we had to pick up Myla by 11:05, I feel a little without my priorities. 2/3 of them are at school! It is weird.
It's like my job suddenly got easier, but it didn't really. There was always stuff I wasn't doing because I was talking with or doing some activity with Myla in the afternoon. Now, I'm kind of just stuck. It will come to me, I know. She is loving full day kindergarten, btw. It was a really tough decision, but I felt like she was ready and I am really glad I focused on her and I think it was a good choice. Time will tell.
When Oliver started first grade a few months ago, I remember feeling this same way. Like a lost dog in the afternoons. I only had two kids at home for the first time in the afternoons in practically forever. So, I remember I got used to it and even liked having him at school. He would come home telling me all about the fun activities they got to do and recess and lunch. Basically Myla is now getting to experience the "enrichment" portion of school, and it sounds pretty fun.
So, even though Ben is only two, I think I have a bit of a license to figure out a new afternoon routine. Something just for me, during nap time. I almost feel guilty that I have time to sit down. Seriously. I know I need to remember that this is good for me to get a real break. It's been 5 years since I have had just one child to watch at a time. I love my kids so so much...but it is nice to have a very quiet break right now. :)
M
P.S. I am actually watching my neighbor boy today, who is 2 1/2. So technically, one day a week I have two kids at home and two at school. It makes for a very busy day, but they nap at the same time, so the quiet afternoon still counts. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment